Split Seals | Inflatable Backup Shaft Seal to Accompany Split Seal
Features mechanical seal type 73
- California Residents: PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- This seal design employs a minimum number of parts for functional efficiencies and reliable service. The key element is a proprietary inflatable elastomer “boot” seal that is inflated quickly to hold process fluids in place during maintenance.
- Positioning between the process fluid and primary seal allows complete access to equipment components beyond the inflatable boot, without interruption from leakage.
- The Type 73 seal is designed for long service life and can be inflated and deflated through dozens of cycles. Some have provided more than 10 years of uninterrupted service in marine and industrial applications.
- Ideally combined with a John Crane split seal, the Type 73 provides backup seal protection when used with a wide range of primary seals and packing. This combination allows for fast split-seal repairs without having to dismantle equipment or drain the tank or system first.
Recommended Applications type 73
- Process pumps
- Mixer and agitators
- Other rotating equipment
About Mechanical seal type 73
Our inflatable backup seal is primarily used to hold process fluids, without leakage, while repairs are made to the primary seal, packing and other equipment components.
It is commonly used with split seals on large-volume tanks, vessels and chests, in continuous or batch processes.
With this backup seal, there is no need to drain the tank or system first.
Design Features mechanical seal type 73
Minimal components – Employs a simple design with a minimum number of parts for functional efficiencies and reliable service. The key element is a John Crane-developed elastomer “boot” seal that is inflated quickly to hold process fluids in place during maintenance.
• Internal positioning – Positioned between the process fluid and primary seal, allowing complete access to equipment components beyond the boot without interruption from leakage. In some industrial applications, it can be used as secondary containment to prevent pollution to the atmosphere.
• Long service life – Designed for long service life; some have provided more than ten years of uninterrupted service in marine and industrial applications. They can be inflated and deflated through dozens of cycles.
Material mechanical seal type 73
- Inflatable Seal: Ethylene Propylene (EPD), Fluoroelastomer
- Support Ring: 316 SS
Operating range mechanical seal type 73
500 psi(g)/35 bar(g)
Shaft cannot be rotated when inflatable seal is activated.
Product Description type 73
Type 73 is an inflatable backup seal that is used primarily to hold process fluids, without leakage, while repairs are made to primary seal, bearings and other equipment components during upset conditions or scheduled maintenance.
With this seal, there is no need to drain the tank or system. It is a low investment barrier seal for leak protection, saving days of potential lost production and product. In marine services, surface and submarine, it also is used to assure vessel integrity when making repairs at sea under pressurized
• For mixers, agitators, pulpers, and large pumps.
• For large tanks, vessels, and chests in continuous or batch processes, other industrial and marine services.
• For downtime reduction, safety, and process fluid protection.