Features mechanical seal type 83
- California Residents: PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Low buffer gas consumption.
- Low wear for longer life and improved reliability.
- Cartridge design for easy installation.
- Universal design independent of shaft rotation.
- Unique carbon bushing segment design with self-adjusting hydropads.
- Incorporates biased flow path to further reduce the risk of bearing oil migration.
- Specially designed joint between the carbon bushing segments to minimize buffer consumption and bearing oil migration.
- Unique axial spring design accommodates shaft excursions.
Recommended Applications type 83
- Centrifugal compressors
- Other compressors
About Mechanical seal type 83
The Type 83 is a dual-segmented carbon bushing assembly designed to prevent the migration of bearing oil to the dry gas seal cartridge. Normally applied as a double arrangement with an inert buffer gas. When used in conjunction with the Type 28 dry-running gas seal, it provides a total sealing system that ensures separation of bearing oil and process gas in compressors.
Design Features mechanical seal type 83
- Low separation gas consumption
- Low wear for longer life and improved reliability
- Cartridge design for easy installation
- Universal design independent of shaft rotation
- Unique carbon bushing segment design with self-adjusting hydropads
- Specially designed segments minimize the separation gas consumption
Material mechanical seal type 83
- Bushing Segments: Carbon
- Axial Spring Stainless Steel
- Radial Springs Stainless Steel
- Housing Assembly Stainless Steel
- Secondary Sealing Elements Fluoroelastomer
Operating range mechanical seal type 83
- Temperature Limits
-20°F to 400°F/-30°C to 200°C
- Pressure Limits
3 to 15 psi(g)/0.2 to 1.0 bar(g)
- Speed Limits
- Size Limits
40mm to 375mm, with sleeve to fit all metric or imperial shafts
Product Description type 83
- The Type 83 is a contacting carbon bushing designed to isolate the bearing oil from the dry gas seal cartridge.
- Normally supplied as a complete seal cartridge, unique inner and outer segments are specifically designed to prevent oil migration and minimize wear.
- Nitrogen is normally injected between the two segmented bushings effectively creating a pressure barrier between the bearing and DGS cavity.
- Advanced materials and design ensure minimal wear and promote long life. Unlike many contacting separation seals the Type 83 is designed to operate on cryogenically dry nitrogen.