Slurry seals | Heavy-duty Cartridge Seal for Boiler Feed Circuit Applications
Features mechanical seal Type 5840
- California Residents: PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Non-clogging, elastomer-encased cone spring applies constant spring load, eliminating dynamic O-rings.
- Hydraulically balanced design with no sliding O-rings to cause hang-up.
- Operates without flush, removing the need for circulation plans.
- Operates with or without water quench.
- Cartridge configuration allows for ease of installation.
- Standard materials specified to meet the requirements of many duties; alternatives available where required.
- Fully interchangeable with many designs already installed in the field.
Recommended Applications Type 5840
- Process pumps
- Other rotating equipment
About Mechanical seal Type 5840
Our Type 5840 single-cartridge seal encompasses many of the advantages associated with heavy-duty seal design, encased in a cost-effective package. Designed for the volume requirements associated with general mining processing duties, it contains robust primary and secondary seal face materials, making it the perfect general-purpose seal for slurry applications.
Design Features mechanical seal Type 5840
- Robust cartridge arrangement, with six (6) group sizes
- Accommodates shafts 1.37″ to 8.66″/35mm to 220mm
- Modular construction for reduced inventory and ease
- Hydraulically balanced design with interchangeable
- Abrasion resistant seal faces in silicon or tungsten carbide
- Non-clogging cone spring eliminates dynamic O-rings
- TFE/P standard elastomers
- No flush is required
- Anti-rotation pin with O-ring
Material mechanical seal Type 5840
- Gland Plate Duplex Stainless Steel (wrought) Super Duplex
- Shaft Sleeve CD4MCU-N Cast 28% Hard Chrome Iron (1.436/1.438)
- Primary Ring Carrier Alloy C-276
- Drive Collar 316 Stainless Steel 304 Stainless Steel
Duplex Stainless Steel
- Cone Spring AFLAS® (TFE/P)
- Primary Ring Silicon Carbide Tungsten Carbide
- Mating Ring (to 5.715″/135mm)
- Secondary Containment Tungsten Carbide
- Mating Ring
- Soc. HD. Capscrew Alloy Steel (Grade 12.9) Zinc PLT
- Spiral Retaining Ring 302 Stainless Steel
- Setting Piece 316 Stainless Steel 304 Stainless Steel
- Hex. HD. Screws 316 Stainless Steel
- Drive Disc
- Elastomer AFLAS® (TFE/P
Operating range mechanical seal Type 5840
- Temperature Limits 167°F to 248°F/75°C to 120°C with water quench
- Pressure Limits 300 psi(g)/21 bar(g)
- Speed Limits 50fps/15m/s
Product Description Type 5840
ype 5840 is a cartridge seal design, suitable for abrasive slurry duties and capable of operating without a quench. A modular construction incorporates a cone spring which avoids clogging and eliminates the dynamic O-ring and risk of hang-up. Seal faces are silicon or tungsten carbide and identical. Adaptive hardware is alloyed stainless steel or high chrome iron to provide both excellent corrosion and abrasive resistance of wetted components. A quench seal option available of improve service life