Features mechanical seal type 285
- California Residents: PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
- Specially designed stationary edge-welded metal bellows.
- Available in flanged, right- and left-hand threaded designs or as a cartridge.
- Meets liquid oxygen (LOX) safety standards.
- Anti-spark sleeve and retaining ring.
- Reduced power consumption with minimal product loss. Since the seal faces do not contact, dry-running and face wear problems, which are associated with conventional contacting seals, are virtually eliminated.
- The design and materials of construction meet the industry safety requirements, allowing the Type 285 to seal all of the common industrial liquid gasses including oxygen, nitrogen and argon.
- The Type 285 is more tolerant to system upsets and increases your mean time between pump maintenance.
Recommended Applications type 285
- Process pumps
- Other rotating equipment
About Mechanical seal type 285
As the worldwide leader in spiral groove technology, John Crane is the first to utilize non-contacting seals in cryogenic applications. The Type 285 can safely seal the most common industrial liquid gasses, such as liquid nitrogen, oxygen, argon and carbon dioxide. It fits the most popular cryogenic pumps — site-based and road tanker pumps — and meets liquid oxygen (LOX) safety standards. The John Crane spiral grooves enable the seal to operate on a gas film by gathering and compressing the vaporized liquid. As the gas is forced towards the closed groove ends, the pressure rises, which creates a cushion to separate the sealing faces. Since the seal faces do not contact, dry-running and face wear problems, which are associated with conventional contacting seals, are virtually eliminated
Design Features mechanical seal type 285
- No face wear under normal operating conditions
- Specially designed stationary bellows
- Floating stator
- Compact design
- Meets liquid oxygen (LOX) safety standards
- Anti-spark sleeve and retaining ring
- Reduced power consumption
- Minimal product loss
- Available as cartridge seal
Material mechanical seal type 285
- Rotor/Mating Ring: Tungsten Carbide
- Stator/Primary Ring: Carbon
- Spring-Energized Seal: Virgin PTFE, Cobalt Chrome Alloy Spring
- Anti-Spark Sleeve: Tin Bronze
- Metal Bellows: Alloy 718 (Alloy 625 End Fittings)
- Retaining Ring: Nickel-Copper Alloy
- Shims: Copper Alloy
- Other Metal Parts: 316L Stainless Steel
Operating range mechanical seal type 285
-320°F to ambient/-196°C to ambient
Vacuum to 100 psi(g)/7 bar(g)
Product Description type 285
- The Type 285 is a non-contacting welded metal bellows seal for cryogenic applications.
- Thanks to its design and materials of construction, the Type 285 can safely seal the most common industrial liquid gases. It fits the most popular cryogenic pumps: site-based and road tanker pumps